There is a temporary position as Postdoctoral Fellow available in the interdisciplinary research group for mathematical cognition at the Department of Teacher Education. The position is for a period of two years with the possibility of a one-year extension with an associated travel grant.
The position as a Postdoctoral Fellow is a fixed-term position with the primary goal of qualifying for work in professional academic chair positions.
Project start is September 1st 2018, or as soon as possible.
The position is connected to the project “Mathematical reasoning with cognitive technology” funded by the Research Council of Norway.
The main aim of the project is to develop models of mathematical reasoning and problem solving that can a) advance theories of mathematical cognition and b) lead to new technology for supporting mathematical learning on digital platforms.
The cross-disciplinary project combines empirical and computational research at the intersection between mathematics education, cognitive science, and artificial intelligence.
The fellow will mainly contribute to the development of computational models for mathematical cognition using tools from machine learning, neural networks and artificial intelligence.
The fellow will be a part of the research group for mathematical cognition at the Department of Teacher Education, with researchers from mathematics education, mathematics, neuroscience, information technology, and artificial intelligence. The project is a collaboration between researchers from NTNU, Stanford University, Rutgers University, and Education Development Center.
Please contact us for more information about the project.
- The position is connected with the project «Mathematical reasoning with cognitive technology”
- The position is to contribute to modeling and theoretical investigations of mathematical cognition.
- A PhD degree in a relevant field is required.
- Programming experience is required (e.g. python, matlab)
- Experience with machine learning or neural networks is an advantage
- Fluent English skills are required.
- Personal qualifications like self motivated and solution oriented will be ascribed high importance.
Salary and Working Conditions
The Postdoctoral Fellow is renumerated according to code 1352 in the salary scale for Norwegian state employees, starting at gross NOK 490 900 per year of which 2 % is deducted for the State Pension Scheme.
Applications should include:
- A publication list.
- Relevant samples of publications (no more than five).
- A description of research interests relevant to the project
- A CV with information about education and previous research experience
- Certificates and study records
- Contact information for at least three references
Joint work will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify the contributions from individuals in a joint piece of work, applicants should enclose a short descriptive summary of what he/she contributed to the work.
Diversity is important to a good work environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender, disabilities, and cultural background.
Information about the applicants may be open to public inspection as provided by the Freedom of Information Act.
For further information about the position, contact the project leader, Associate Professor Trygve Solstad, email: email@example.com.
For information about processing of applications, please contact HR, Aaste Line Strand, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
An application including attachments should be sent electronically through: www.jobbnorge.no.
ABOUT THIS JOB
- Deadline Friday, June 1, 2018
- Employer NTNU – Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Kalvskinnet
- Jobbnorge ID 152895
- Internal ID 2018/12417
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
Closing Date: 1st June
More information here