Friday, 3rd July 2015 at University of Western Sydney,
- Venue: University of Western Sydney, Parramatta South campus, room EB.G.05.
- Time: 10 am until 5 pm (arrive 9:30 for tea, coffee and networking), and at the end of the day an optional dinner at a local restaurant.
- Cost: free lunch provided courtesy of sponsorship from MESH and SCEM at UWS.
The Mathematics Education Support Hub (MESH) and the School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics (SCEM) at UWS are running a one day seminar on first year tertiary maths for those involved in teaching in NSW. Theme of the day will be issues for First Year in Mathematics in NSW. We intend that the day will provide an opportunity for an ideas exchange between academic and professional staff who are involved with any first year units that require mathematical skills.
Guest speakers will be:
- Hon Assoc Prof John Mack, a former chair of the HSC Mathematics Syllabus and Examinations committees, deputy chair of the NSWV-CC’s Technical Committee on Scaling and current researcher in HSC mathematics results, will give us a picture of the current standard of mathematics of new students entering tertiary education in NSW
- Hon Prof John Rice, Exec Director of the Australian Council of the Deans of Science, will share his views about the priorities that the maths network faces and where he sees it going.
Still a few places available! To register, please fill out the form at http://goo.gl/forms/4ty7qWkakJ .Also there are still a couple of spots for presentations if anyone would like to share their experiences or ideas on the day.
We look forward to seeing you at the inaugural FYiMaths NSW gathering. If you have any questions about the seminar please contact Don Shearman, Learning Adviser (Mathematics), Mathematics Education Support Hub D.Shearman@uws.edu.au
Don Shearman, Leanne Rylands, Lyn Armstrong, John Nicholls, University of Western Sydney.